Songs for IB Schools’ Primary Years Programme (PYP)
As stated on The International Baccalaureate (IB) website, the Primary Years Programme (PYP) is “underpinned by six transdisciplinary themes around which learning is planned.”
I’ve put together this list of songs from the SongLibrary that fit within these six themes. Please note that these are my own suggestions and don’t imply any endorsement by or connection to the International Baccalaureate.
1. Who we are - an inquiry into the nature of the self; beliefs and values; personal, physical, mental, social and spiritual health; human relationships including families, friends, communities and cultures; rights and responsibilities; what it means to be human.
2. Where we are in place and time - an inquiry into orientation in place and time; personal histories; homes and journeys; the discoveries, explorations and migrations of humankind; the relationships between and the interconnectedness of individuals and civilizations, from local and global perspectives.
Circles – a place where everyone is welcome and bullies aren’t tolerated Community – a musical round about how we are connected Everyone Belongs – celebrates our differences Tell Me Your Story – by sharing our stories and personal histories we gain understanding Towards The Rising Sun – about refugees seeking a better life We Are Home Here - our relationship to each other and the places we live; whether we are migrants or indigenous peoples.
3. How express ourselves - an inquiry into the ways in which we discover and express ideas, feelings, nature, culture, beliefs and values; the ways in which we reflect on, extend and enjoy our creativity; our appreciation of aesthetic.
4. How the world works - an inquiry into the natural world and it's laws; the interaction between the natural world (physical and biological) and human societies; how humans use their understanding of scientific principles; the impact of scientific and technological advances on society and on the environment.
I Am The Earth – the interdependent relationship between humans and the Earth Party Of Life – all life is related ‘from the ants to the elephants…you and me and the flea!’ Ride Of Our Lives – we’re all travelling through space on the amazing planet Earth The Dance - a poetic exploration of clean energy from solar and wind power
5. How we organise ourselves - an inquiry into the interconnections of human made systems and communities; the structure and function of organisations; societal decision making; economic activities and their impact on humankind and the environment.
Circles - a place where everyone is welcome and bullies aren’t tolerated Community - a musical round about how we are connected Respect – we all need respect, the basis for a healthy human system or community
6. Sharing the planet - an inquiry into rights and responsibilities in the struggle to share finite resources with other people and living things: communities and the relationships within and between them; access to equal opportunities; peace and conflict resolution.
I Am The Earth - the interdependent relationship between humans and the Earth Language Is The Key - language is the key to our cultural identities and relationships Party Of Life - all life is related ‘from the ants to the elephants…you and me and the flea!’ Peace By Piece - from the words of Gandhi 'There is no path to peace. Peace is the path.' Rainbows and Canyons – The Water Song, something we all need and must share to survive. To Be Free - based on the United Nations Rights Of The Child. We Are Home Here - our relationship to each other and the places we live; whether we are migrants or indigenous peoples.